mr. zilla goes to town

Monday, August 09, 2004

no pain. no hurt. we'll go dreaming

I dream often, but there have been a few times in my life when I've experienced something out of the ordinary, and by that I mean a quite savagely vivid dream. The content is generally sparse, succinct, but the presentation utterly hyperreal; its like being inside a billion watts of sound and visual energy. Waking up is quite pale in comparison. The following is a very pedestrian attempt at describing last night's mess.

So last night I was sitting alone on the mountainside above Honolulu, and as I sat there I watched a nuclear explosion on the sea outside the harbour. From the distance I sat it wasn't so much the blast radius as the tsunami that was a problem for me; the world descended into incandescent silence punctuated only by stabbing horns trying to call survivors to higher ground as the wave approached with shotgun speed. When it struck the wave smashed the city and hillside with explosive power, impacting not with water but foaming, snarling teeth of torturous jagged shrapnel and broken glass, stopping just inches below my bare feet. Nature's IED, if you will.

Then a second nuke exploded directly overhead with a rending sound fit to tear a hole in the universe.

And when I could see again - surprised to find myself alive, or perhaps just an observant soul - the city's blackened burning remains looked suspiciously like the geography of Lake Jindabyne viewed from the final hill as you come down the road from the ski resorts. WTF, eh? The alarms sounded again, followed by an tinny official voice: "This has been a test of the Orange Alert federal response. This has been a test of the Orange Alert federal response. Thank you for your cooperation..."

Heavy going. I probably need to rebalance my reading list a little. I've heard good things about this book, and the reviews of it are great - apparently a compelling page turner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home