mr. zilla goes to town

Friday, October 29, 2004

appealing up close

The Guardian in the UK recently decided to run a rather ham-brained campaign for feelthy folks from foreign parts to write letters to Ohio undecided voters to convince them to vote against George Bush. Yah, cos that was always going to go down real well in the midwest.

Here's a letter though that strikes me as being in stark contrast. A good friend of mine here in DC, who is also a non-US citizen, just wrote it and sent it to his mates here. It's great and I wish I had written it myself, so despite my long-standing loathing of anything resembling chain mail, I've forwarded it on to a bunch more people. Have a read.

I wouldn't normally do this. If this email offends you in any way, I apologize. But, with one of the most pivotal political questions unfolding in front of us, to stay silent would be suicidal. While I'm not fortunate enough to enjoy voting rights in this country like many on this list, the results of this election will have grave implications for me and all of you. Even if I can convince one person to show up and vote, I will feel like I have been enfranchised. While I'm positive that all my friends will make the exciting journey to the polling booth come Tuesday, I want this to be a friendly reminder that I will tell your mom if you don't do so.

We are faced with prospect of electing a president who just might succeed in turning the clock back on many of the rights that many have fought hard to ensure. I hope you will keep in mind that the president we elect will be in charge of selecting up to three Supreme Court judges. Do we really want a judiciary that is dominated by Scalias and Clarence Thomases? Do we want a recidivist cancer dominated by religious fanatics to attain metastasis. No, I'm not talking about those nuts in the Middle East. I'm talking about the ones born and bred in the Western Hemisphere.

I don't think I want to live in a society where women and homosexuals are not given equal status. I don't want to live in a society where religion is treated as a virtue. Where people like me who don't share the religious passions of the majority are vilified.

I don't want to live in a country where the life of a human being outside this country is considered less valuable than the price of gas at the pump. I don't want a government that is not transparent, however small it ends up becoming. I don't want legislation that will make it legal for me to be put in jail without access to a lawyer for a crime I haven't been informed of. I want a president who can understand that an "alien" is not an extra-terrestrial.

While we might all differ on economic issues and national security issues, I feel that the issues I've mentioned are important enough to vote against the current president of the United States of America. And by that, I mean vote for John Kerry not Ralph Nader.

Thanks for voting.

(signed off)


WTFG, A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home