mr. zilla goes to town

Monday, November 29, 2004

oxforward

Courtesy of British Airways I exchanged a blustery Thursday night in DC for a wan English Friday morning sun that couldn't hold a candle to ms. zilla's smile as I met her in the main courtyard of her college.



Unfortunately I couldn't persuade her to carry me -- or preferably all my luggage -- across the threshold of our digs in North Oxford, as instead I was just in time for a hasty introduction to the lore and lingo of the Christchurch regatta. At first I thought all the casual discussion about catching crabs was a strange abberation in the stereotypical English character, to learn with much mirth this is actually a term for poor technique in dipping one's oar, rather than poor a selection of the, err, waterway in which to dip one's oar.

I'm back in mirrorworld and looking the wrong way before I cross the street again. Coins are bigger, prices are higher, but at least the streets are narrower and less festooned with SUVs than the nightly Connecticut Avenue commuter monster truck rally.

Unfortunately one of the aforementioned crabs was a fierce blighter and managed to catapault one of ms. zilla's teammates from the boat and into the drink twelve strokes into the repecharge race, putting something of a dent in their ambitions to reach the regatta's final day of competition. Teddy Hall's loss was my gain, what a shame, what a shame, as we got reacquainted and put in a concerted effort to gad about the town yesterday (Saturday). Her company is a treasure and I'm still quite perplexed how we managed to be a few thousand miles apart for almost the entire the last two years. Any comments about the mouths of gift horses will get me belted with a rolled up newspaper when she reads this, so shhh.....

Following on we rolled up to the post-regatta Saturday night jacket and tie function at the Mitre - where they've been pulling beers for students since 1261 AD, and were immediately fined (one drink, to be consumed immediately) by the master of ceremonies for being from the southern hemisphere. Again, what a shame. The delightfully refreshing (or is that refreshmanlike) night ended with the rude mirrorworld reintroduction to the 11pm closing time licencing laws in England, and despite 48% (NB New Mexico results still to be returned) of my mind and body arguing that it was in fact only 6pm we were well ready to turn in.

I've spent today taking care of the first of five job applications around the traps I need to submit by this coming Friday. Life in England begins with a smile that not even the perpetual celestial grey can diminish.

5 Comments:

  • nice new place. good luck for the jobhunting in your new old world. if you're in need of inspiration, i find this to be a great example of a modern job application.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 pm  

  • Good to hear you made it safely, I am a little disappointed however that the best new title you came up with was mr zilla goes to town...

    I mean you've arrived in the mother country, the cradle of civilization, the birthplace of shakespeare, particularly to the centre of learning and advanced thought in oxford and the best you can come up with is town?

    dude, I realise you may be a little jet lagged, but really...

    By Blogger lunch, at 12:30 am  

  • Good to hear you made it safely, I am a little disappointed however that the best new title you came up with was mr zilla goes to town...

    I mean you've arrived in the mother country, the cradle of civilization, the birthplace of shakespeare, particularly to the centre of learning and advanced thought in oxford and the best you can come up with is town?

    dude, I realise you may be a little jet lagged, but really...

    By Blogger lunch, at 12:31 am  

  • you should see this place... its very.... towny... I'll have a think but I dunno... i reckon "mr zilla goes to town " has a bit of a ring to it... sounds a bit like an episode of noddy :-)

    By Blogger mister z, at 9:52 am  

  • Well, welcome to England. Oxford is a lovely place, and 'town' suits it rather well. Although the new blog title does also have a Mr Men ring to it...

    I would say look me up when/if you come to London, but I am in Sydney for the next 2 months. But if you are in need of a friendly blogger contact there, contact robin(at)perfect.co.uk, one of my fellow perfect.co.uk group bloggers. Unlike those Oxford wags, the perfect lot are partial to Antipodeans, which is the correct way to refer to someone from Australia, NZ, or South Africa when in England (mostly because they have some trouble differentiating the accents).

    And while I think of it, when you get around to updating your links, could you please change the link you used to have to my page (perfect.co.uk/nathan) to the main page of perfect (perfect.co.uk), as I am not posting much on my own page these days. Many thanks.

    Best of luck, old chap. And see you at Fabric sometime in late February - though I will be seeing the Plump DJ's at Field Day

    By Blogger Nathan, at 6:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home