mr. zilla goes to town

Friday, February 04, 2005

targetted aid

So no doubt you've seen the banner up there in the top right for the Make Poverty History campaign. Yesterday Nelson Mandela was down in Trafalgar Square talking about the campaign and very publically putting the call out to G8 leaders to come onboard.

Now you might think that the achieving Millenium development goals, the eradication of preventable poverty, debt relief and might be high on anyone's list of causes deserving of your time and interest. But then you're probably not a member of the Marquette College Republicans mentioned in the SMH:
A U.S. university in Wisconsin has blocked an attempt by Republican students to raise money for a group called "Adopt-a-Sniper" that raises money for US sharp-shooters in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The students were selling bracelets bearing the motto "1 Shot 1 Kill No Remorse I Decide".


What a horrorshow, for college wingnuts to romanticise and turn into fashion the kind of role that tends to find returning veterans with a serious case of PTSD.

I served with "B" 1/12 1st Brg. (Airborne) 1st Cav 1965-1966. I did some sniping with a 30.6 hunting rifle. I went after enemy snipers and killed 2. I fought in Happy Valley 10/1965, Ia Drang valley 11/1965, Bon son 2/1966 and several firefights in the central highlands of Vietnam. Today I suffer from PTSD. When I went to war I thought it would be like a John Wayne movie. Most of my army friends died in Nam. Most of my high school friends died in Nam. Today I hope that your worst experience is training...

...Today I am unemployable because I am 56 and have PTSD along with 2 heart attacks and a recovering alcoholic. I did not lay down and die in Vietnam and I am not going away now. I would like to campaign for the rights of those of us who gave and continue to give. That night I lay with the bodies of solders that died horrible deaths I ask God why I was spared. Today I work with alcoholics who want recovery and that is what God wants me to do. Today I am unemployed, broke and doing something important with my life.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know what horrified me more - the supposedly almight Yanks sending their troops in without proper equipment, or adulation of the fine citizens of the US for their snipers, raising money to fund their boys on the front.

    Actually, what truly horrified me was reading the full account of Vietnam Vet. Makes movies like "Platoon" seem like a Disney cartoon. I just about puked after reading his account - his life must be a living hell. How can we (as a collective society) think that sending people in to kill each other to solve a problem is a worthwhile way to exist?

    Ange

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home