mr. zilla goes to town

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Who could have imagined that working full-time, studying 0.5-time and also DJing 5-6 nights a month could leave you a bit off the boil and with about 47 hours of sleep to catch up on? Forgive me blogger for I have sinned, it has been a couple of weeks since my last blog, I confess I have been coveting my neighbour's iRiver iFP-899, and since wrapping up the last paper of the semester at 1.30am last Tuesday, willfully breaking thy holy commandment, Thou Shalt Not Kill [Time In Record Stores]. Especially good local second hand ones which have just had their rent doubled by the city council and will probably make way for another poncy high street fashion store in short order. We've also had a flying visit from the lovely Miss B on her way through to visit Fancypants in Cambridge; to our shame we've been here 6 months but inside two days she beat us to the Pitt Rivers Museum so we've got some redress there to do. (In our defence its really hard to get to the Pitt Rivers: it may only be 10 minutes walk from home, but the entrance is through the Oxford Museum of Natural History and you have to be able to walk all the way through an enormous room full of dinosaur skeletons without being distracted to make it there...)

Anyway if said coveting goes to plan, and Amazon.co.uk come to the party in short order, I might have something fun going up here in the next week or so, that might also answer some of the questions Nick threw my way.

In the meantime I'd like to draw your attention to After Terror: Promoting Dialogue among Civilizations for some very digestible snippets from an eclectic array of perspectives. I've been dipping into the entries at random, including contributions from the late Sergio Viera de Mello to Queen Noor of Jordan, but it's Sir Ravi Shankar's contribution that provides some (unintended?) comic relief halfway through. While ostensibly talking about music as a unifying force for peace, Shankar seems to devote much of his brief entry to whinging that all the hippies who he played to back in the day were off their collective dials.

But for now I think it's getting close to time for a Sunday afternoon nap.

4 Comments:

  • I know, the lack of Quorn is disturbing but those Nature's Harvest or something supermarkets are a-fucking-mazing. I almost creamed myself when I saw the salad bar.

    By Blogger OrlandoCatastrophic, at 10:07 am  

  • Where in DC is home? I was staying in Dupont Circle.

    By Blogger OrlandoCatastrophic, at 10:08 am  

  • Whiny? Me? Never!

    You're a Beth Orton fan? Where have you been all my life...?

    By Blogger OrlandoCatastrophic, at 10:09 am  

  • 1. Its Fresh fields / Whole foods... and for me it was the shade grown, songbird migration friendly, rainforest promoting, hand picked, fair trade, happy muppet coffee that kept me coming back. I loved being able to empty my entire wallet at the supermarket and still come out with so few groceries I could carry them home in one hand... :)

    2. uptown in friendship heights and later by the zoo in woodley park.

    3a. isn't everyone?
    3b. foreign parts.

    By Blogger mister z, at 1:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home